Tuesday 30 August 2016

My Typical Day - Now, what about you? Tell me about you and your typical day.

I am 84 and have help with housework etc which means I do not have to vacuum and clean as much as I once did. We also have and excellent handyman/gardener who, to avoid confusion, we call Paul 2 as opposed to Paul 1 and Paul 3. Even then I have been known to leave a message for Paul 2 on Paul 1s mobile! Paul 2 cuts the grass and tidies the garden as necessary but can also lay his hand to a multitude of tasks which he completes in a first class manner.

We live on 3 floors, so two flights of stairs to negotiate. Ground floor - Workroom and store. 1st floor Lounge/dining room and kitchen. 2nd floor bedrooms and bathrooms however I usually only go up to the 2nd floor at bedtime. Climbing the stairs plays havoc with old knees and hips but we brush that away by calling it exercise although it doesn't help Joe with his breathing.

Generally we go out shopping once, sometimes twice, a week but because we both tire quickly restrict these to less than an hour and a half if possible. I shop on line weekly for most groceries, and as necessary for gifts and clothing because of this.
At times we also have to make trips to the GP or hospital for consultation or treatment due to ill health and for check ups with dentist and opticians. These often seem to come all at once and when added to shopping is extremely tiring.

As someone who has lived since 1932, I no longer have any problems with events and decisions I have made in the past but do wish I'd had the knowledge and ability to deal with them better at the time, although at the time I frequently found myself in a cleft stick!
.
I am grateful to have reached the age I have despite multiple health problems. However it does concern me that the world seems to be a worse place now than it was, or is it that we now have the media bringing it to our attention?
Generally I am pretty amazed at how ignorant some people are about our past shameful history and behaviour in 'the colonies' as we once called them and am increasingly finding it hard to find anything to congratulate ourselves for except the NHS.
These days, throughout the whole day, I am watching Joe for additional health problems and endlessly asking him 'Are you OK?' which he bears patiently.

My Day (but don't expect anything exciting!)

5.30 Wake then iPad check Twitter, Facebook, Emails, BBC News.
6.30 Sleep until
8.00 When boiler switches on. (When you get old you feel the cold so ours is on throughout the year.) Then iPad until
8.30 Draw blinds, make bed, weigh self (and smile or grimace as necessary), briefly greet husband in passing. Downstairs I  draw curtains in lounge and blind,  plug in iPad to charge, switch on tv. Tidy away last night’s washing up and set out breakfast dishes. Take Omeprazole. Check calendar for day. Greet husband properly when he comes downstairs.
8.40 Breakfast of Honeydew melon, slice toast and honey, honey yoghurt, and tea while watching tv news. More medication for BP and cholesterol. Garlic, Vit B complex, selenium (for those interested - the latter for nails and hair).
9.20 Check day’s supper menu and recipe.
9.30 Upstairs for ablutions and to dress etc. Gather day’s laundry and by
10.00 Downstairs. Laundry into washer. Tumble and fold yesterday's  dry laundry. Check and tidy kitchen and lounge/dining room. If time garden for 10 minutes.
10.25 Downstairs. Computer for 30 minutes - answer emails, write letters or, out to Tesco and back about 12 or other appointment - which upsets rest of day.
11.00 Tea and biscuit upstairs with Joe while chatting and watching news.
11.30 Read through supper menu. Empty washer and hang out contents. Look out window to see what neighbours are up to!
12.00 Downstairs to reply to more emails then research, genealogy, write etc.
12.50 Prepare lunch.
1.00 Call Joe up to make tea. Sit and watch news then a soap with him. (Oh dear! I can hear you say.) And criticising the behaviour or decisions of the characters!
2.10 Joe off upstairs for nap. If necessary start preparing any slow cooker meals, or downstairs to computer for genealogy or upstairs look for and watch film on tv which has probably started ten minutes earlier but because I became used to arriving in mid programme (and often mid main feature) during WW2, it is of no importance! My thinking being: I'll catch the beginning another time and then I'll remember I've seen it through to the finale! Oh the joys of being old and settling for less.
3.00 Pause film. Check time and set timer for starting supper. Read through recipe again. Wash up lunch dishes. Watch rest of film.
4.00 Tea and biscuit with Joe while chatting about numerous inconsequential matters of little interest  to anyone but ourselves.
4.30 Start preparing supper, washing up as I go. Downstairs on computer and chat to Joe.
5.30 Continue preparations for cooking supper. Potter around - water garden pots, tidy up etc and idly look out window to see what neighbours are up to!
6.00 Finish cooking supper.
7.00 Serve and eat supper during which we ask each other questions from quiz books - generously helping each other with clues to answer, including - as necessary - charades!
7.30 Wash dishes and tidy kitchen. Settle down with drinks, water for me and wine for Joe, for evening of companionably watching tv - usually something light eg soaps, documentary, good film we have recorded (during which,  I am pleased to say, if it is a good film we do NOT talk or interrupt except for dire emergencies.)
9.50 Bedtime for me, leaving Joe to own devices. Upstairs and prepare for bed - wash etc. On I Pad - checking social media or reading. Check in with Heather. Read multiple news items. Pinterest etc.
11.00 Joe comes up to bed. Brief chat and goodnight.
11.15 Asleep (if possible.)
12.15 Some nights, when I cannot get to sleep (and I know this goes against all advice) I find my iPad is a good companion until my eyes become heavy.
Tomorrow: Repeat.


No comments: